In the early 1900’s the Carbon County Fair was held annually at the north end of Red Lodge. The fairgrounds had a half-mile race track, grandstand, livestock barns and exhibition buildings for agriculture, home canning and bake sales. There were also thoroughbred horse races, cow-pony races and ladies horse races. The Crow Indians, who always sent a large delegation to the fair, also participated in the Indian races. No chutes were used in the bronc riding so the riders would ride until the horses finally stop bucking or the rider fell off.
In May of 1930 the Red Lodge Rodeo Association was formed and incorporated. By June 4, 1930 the rodeo grounds were being constructed on the west bench where it remains today. The site was an eighty-acre tract purchased from the Northern Pacific Railway Company. The race track was five-sixths of a mile, with chutes on the south side, and pick-up corrals on the north side. The original grandstands seated 900 to 1,100 people. The first rodeo was held at the new rodeo grounds on July 4th, 5th & 6th, 1930 with an attendance of 20,000 people. The attendance figures for the first rodeo may have been slightly exaggerated, but there were plenty of standees and fence-sitters.
Today the Red Lodge rodeo, now called the Home of Champions Rodeo is held annually on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of July. In 1953, Owen Welch, former publisher of the Carbon County News, coined the name, "Home of Champions" honoring the world-famous Greenough and Linderman families.
What you will see in the Rodeo exhibit
- The Linderman Brothers including the "King of Rodeo" Bill Linderman memorabilia
- The Ridin' Greenough's Memorabilia