The Carbon County Historical Society & Museum is the repository for many city and county documents for Carbon County. Additionally the Archives also contain numerous photographic collections showing rural and local scenes as well as local businesses, citizens and events dating back to the late 1800’s. Many of the pioneers and settlers of Carbon County have donated their family papers, photographs, diaries, and personal correspondence to be preserved in the Archives made available to the general public.
The following resources are available in our Archives:
- Photographic Collection: An extensive collection of photographs of Red Lodge, as well as the Carbon County area
- A collection of rare books and reference materials focusing on the Carbon County area and the state of Montana.
- Newspapers: Carbon County News(1891 – 1967), Carbon County Journal, Red Lodge Picket, Picket Journal, Carbon County Chronicle, Carbon County Republican, Joliet Newspapers (1904-09), Bridger Times (1914-44), Fromberg Herald (1902-47). Most newspapers are also available in microfiche.
- Cemetery records
- Census records
- City Directories 1905 - 1922
- Files on the residents of Carbon County. Great for genealogy research.
- Diaries, Journals, Letters, Post Cards, Memorabilia
- Oral Histories of the "Old Timers" in Carbon County, past and present
- Files on local businesses, churches, social organizations, special events, past and present
- Extensive primary source documents concerning the Smith Mine Disaster
The Archives are open during regular business hours for public use
Winter Hours: Thursday and Friday 10-5, Saturday 11-3
Summer Hours (Memorial Day through Labor Day): Monday – Saturday 10-5, Sunday 11am - 3pm
NOTE: Saturdays are by appointment ONLY
If you have research that you would like done and are unable to visit the museum you can make arrangements for the research to be done by our employees.
Research fees are as follows:
- $25/hour plus copies
- 8.5X11 or 8.5X14 copies - $.25 each
- 11X17 copies - $.50 each
- Marriage & Birth Certificates - $5 each